Sunday, May 20, 2018

Jagers are Finished in Record Time



I spent several hours today painting a small unit of Prussian Jägers.  This was an experiment in two dimensions.  I wanted to see if I could finish a small unit in a day; and I wanted to apply a gloss coat to the unit (I really didn't want to make a mess of my Hussars or Lancers in case I had a mishap). The results are here:

As you can see, they are still on their tongue depressors.  I left them on because the gloss takes a while to dry, and I wanted to post their photo today (since it was a one day unit challenge).

 
Here they are in retreat
 
 
Here is a close up of two Jägers from the front.

 
And in retreat.
 


 Wow does that stuff give off fumes.  I have used acrylics so long, that I had forgotten how strong the fumes are from non-water-based paint/varnish.  Does anyone know of a water-based varnish?  Next time I will go outside to apply the gloss.

I have applied one coat of gloss.  Is that sufficient?  Your opinion?


14 comments:

  1. They look good regardless of how long it took.

    From my experience, regardless of which sort of gloss varnish is used, 2 coats is best . The first coat fills all the microscopic surface roughness allowing the 2nd coat to add depth and shine.

    I've been using acrylic gloss varnish for years, decades. I used to use artist varnishes but I find craft acrylic varnishes work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What brand of acrylic varnish do you use?

      Delete
    2. How long do you wait between coats?

      Delete
    3. I second Ross's remarks. The acrylic I use is Winsor and Newton "Artisan" brilliant gloss. Two coats is a must.
      Your jaegers look great!

      Delete
    4. My usual one is a generic craft one, a $ or 2 per bottle. The brand name changes from time to time. When I get home tomorrow I'll check.

      I usually make myself wait at least an hour between coats.

      Delete
  2. I'm now using Windsor & Newton Artisan water mixable gloss varnish (as recommended by WM and Mark). No smell to speak of - 3 coats should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a photo of the container, or a link to the site where you buy yours?

      Delete
    2. This is the one http://www.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes/oil-colour/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes-for-artisan/artisan-water-mixable-gloss-varnish-8-4-us-fl-oz-250ml-bottle-3039721

      Delete
  3. This a link to Windsor and Newton.

    http://m.winsornewton.com/uk/shop/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes/oil-colour/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes-for-artisan/artisan-water-mixable-gloss-varnish-2-53-us-fl-oz-75ml-bottle-3021721

    I got mine from my local Art Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Vallejo gloss varnish. It doesn't smell, stays clear and you clean brushes in soap & water after. I use it on my Napoleonics as a base for decals and rate it highly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I will keep my eye out for it.

      Delete