Monday, May 28, 2018

March to the Sound of the Guns!


It is time to add some artillery to the small, but growing French and Allied armies I am creating, so that we will finally have all three arms present. 

To Start, in the absence of any French gunner figures, I will build a Dutch-Belgian battery.  They will have to stand in for the French until I can find some French gunners (if anyone out there can help me with a French crew or two, I  would be grateful). 


Dutch-Belgian Artillery 1815
 
DN/51 gunner with port fire
DN/53 gunner holding cannonball
BN/54 gunner with handspike
DN/55 gunner running with ammunition bag
DN/52 gunner with rammer

Yesterday I primed them black, and they are ready to don their uniforms.  The figures are original Hinton Hunts, the gun is from John Cunningham.



To oppose the French (Dutch) gunners are some British Royal Artillerists, with what was described (by the person who sold me the figures) as a six ponder.  Does anyone recognize the gun?  Is it a Hinton Hunt  "A.2. Field Gun (British)"?:

 
Royal Field Artillery
 
BN/144 Gunner(holding hand spike for traversing)
BN/142 Gunner (ramming home)
BN/143 Gunner (holding cannonball)
BN/140 Officer pointing holding map

They are all original Hinton Hunts, and were primed this afternoon. 



One battery each will do until I have "Phase I" completed.

"Phase I" will end with each army having the following: 
One cavalry regiment (French 7th Hussars, elite squadron and line squadron; and Prussian 3rd Silesian Lancer squadron and an as yet undetermined lancer squadron);
Two infantry battalions;
One unit of skirmishers; and
One artillery battery. 

At that point, a small affair will be fought in celebration.

3 comments:

  1. Those are two very nice sets, CN, and are probably even rarer than French line artillery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it looks very lije an HH gun. It should have an A and a letter punched under the carriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry an A and a number under the carriage. I would be surprised if anyone copied an HH gun, too dumpy, barrel too fat, too many spokes on the wheels!

    ReplyDelete